Henry Cliffe (1919-1983) was a well-known painter, printmaker, sculptor and teacher. He was born in Scarborough in Yorkshire and studied at the Bath Academy of Art. He ran the lithography studio at Bath from 1950 until 1981. His first one man show was held in 1956 at The Redfern Gallery. Cliffe was a regular exhibitor in international print exhibitions and in 1960 was one of five artists shown in the British Pavilion at the Venice Biennale. His early works were influenced by both Surrealism and the neo-romantic English landscape school of the 1940s. Throughout the 1950s Cliffe’s work became more concerned with the relationship between the human figure and the landscape. His work is represented in a number of public collections including the Victoria & Albert Museum, Bristol City Art Gallery, Royal West of England Academy and MOMA New York.